Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Things I never Knew About Project Management and Loved the Surprise

               My internship in project management that I had the privilege of perusing over this last summer was the best thing I have ever done for my professional career.  I got to see how much I really would love working as a leader of a small team to get projects completed while meeting all of the requirements of the client.  There was a lot that I had learned that I had no idea fell into the scope of being a project manager that made the job so much more appealing to me than I thought it would.
                I started my internship knowing about some of the broader aspects of being a project manager like being responsible for the entire project and working with a team.  According to Kendrick (2014), that is just the beginning of the basic job description of a project manager.  Personality types, education, having enough technical knowledge to help keep communication channels open, and attention to detail are very important to being successful in the field (para. 1-16).  These skills I already knew about; it’s the attributes I didn’t know about that make this job so great in my eyes.
                It wasn’t until I finished my internship that I got to see that I had no idea what goes into project management or some of the details of the job description.  Myers (2012) helped me realize some interesting perspectives about my experience this summer I never thought about.  Being a mini-CEO, always learning, never having a dull moment on the job, and being the guy who is seen as the savior of the company on occasion (para. 3-8) are just a few qualities of the job that I didn’t know about that left me happily surprised.
                Even with all of the unknowns, project management is the field that has my interest.  I love how the job is always changing and there are always things to keep me on my toes.  I also love how it can be training for bigger opportunities that may come my way.  I can’t wait to see what the future holds when I finish school and can begin my career.
References
Kendrick, T. (May 21, 2014), Do you have what it takes to be a project manager, American Management Association, retrieved from http://www.amanet.org/training/articles/Do-You-Have-What-It-Takes-to-be-a-Project-Manager.aspx
Myers, D. (April 1, 2012), 6 things to love about being a project manager, Wordpress, retrieved from http://dalemyers.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/6-things-to-love-about-being-a-project-manager/

No comments:

Post a Comment